Monday 11 April 2016

AN ASIAN ADVENTURE : Part I of III

HONG KONG
Aloha!  And welcome to Part 1 of my Asian Adventure travel diary.  I've recently been lucky enough to travel to Hong Kong, Singapore and Thailand and it was one of THEE best holidays I've ever been on.  Quite frankly, I can't stop scrolling through my pictures and wondering why I ever had to come home (like seriously, who even needs a job?), so I thought I'd try and cheer myself up by sharing some memories that seem so distant already.

So my first stop was Hong Kong which is a gruelling 16 hour flight from Edinburgh.  My boyfriend gets quite grumpy and agitated on long plane journeys, so I told him it was 10 hours and really "not that bad".  You should have seen his face when we stopped in Abu Dhabi for our connecting flight and he realised we had another 7 hours to go.  Priceless.  Anyway, we flew with Etihad Airways and I have to say they made the 16 hour trip a lot more bearable - New and current movies, comfy seats, decent legroom, a fully kitted out "plane essentials" kit and of course, an unlimited drinks trolley.  That was me sorted!

Once we arrived in Hong Kong I couldn't help but notice three things:

1. Everybody was super friendly
2. The buildings were really, really, really tall
3. I had no idea what day, time or even planet I was on due to my old pal called Jetlag

Accommodation

My three nights in HK were spent in the laaaavly Harbour Grand Hong Kong, situated right beside Victoria Harbour.  The reception area had the biggest, most sparkliest chandelier I'd ever seen and the service offered by the bellboys was second to none.

My harbour view room was on the 32nd floor and, had it not been so foggy, would have offered amaaazing views of Victoria Harbour and Kowloon Island.  Unfortunately I was too excited to think about taking pictures of the room at the time but I can assure you, you would not have been disappointed!

The hotel offered several eating places with loads of different cuisines from around the world, a heated outdoor pool, a gym and spa area and even a harpist in the lobby to make sweet music to your ears!

Things to do, people to see...

Sadly, the weather was ridiculously foggy my whole three days in Hong Kong so I didn't get to do a lot of the touristy stuff I'd planned (Victoria Peak, the Big Buddha, Lantau Island).  Nonetheless, I tried to make the most of my trip and explored parts of Hong Kong Island and Kowloon whilst trying some local cuisine and embarrassing myself by attempting to use chopsticks.

The city is beautiful in an array of colours at night and you can make the most of the colourful views by having a nice stroll around the harbour or by taking a boat cruise across the bay.

If you are a fellow cocktail lover, one place that you MUST visit if you are ever in Hong Kong is the "Ozone Bar" (also known as the highest bar in the world!) which is situated on the 118th floor of the Ritz-Carlton hotel.  All I can say is wow.  Again, we didn't get the spectacular views due to the weather, but the chilled atmosphere, funky interior and truly scrumptious cocktail menu ensured we had a fab time anyway.

Well folks, I feel like I've rambled on enough about my mini-adventure in Hong Kong.  The weather situation was disappointing but overall, HK gets a thumbs up from me and I would definitely recommend a visit if you are travelling around that side of the world.  I've included a few pictures from my stay below (sorry about the quality of some), and if you've ever been before, get in touch and let me know what you thought!

My next travel post will be about Singapore so keep an eye out and I'll see you there... Happy reading!

Rachel


Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig