Thursday 21 April 2016

AN ASIAN ADVENTURE: PART II OF III

Hello folks, and happy Friday-eve!  I don't know about you, but all these blue skies and that big, bright ball in the sky (I think they call it the sun?) are getting me excited for the weekend!

It's been another busy week but I finally have some time to sit down and put together part 2 of my travel diary and this time, we shall visit Singapore my friends!

This was my first visit to Singapore and all I can say is that I bloody loved it.  Every single thing about it: The green gardens, the food, the people, the cocktails, Marina Bay - Everything.  The place is absolutely immaculate and as soon as I had my first wander around, I told myself that I would live here one day.

After my mini Hong Kong adventure (see previous blogpost), I visited Singapore for five days whilst staying with family and I tried to cram in as much as possible during my short stay.  There's a bucket load of things to see and do in Singapore, depending on your interests, but my favourites were... * drum roll*

The Zoo

What can I say, we don't particularly have that many fascinating species of animals in Scotland.  I mean, Highland coo's are pretty cool but let's face it, seeing lions and tigers and bears (oh my!) is pretty bad-ass.

I felt the zoo was a good way to spend my first day in Singapore and it gave my body a chance to adjust to the INSANE humidity there.  The zoo was spotlessly clean, really well kept and I loved the fact that the animals appeared to have lots of room to stroll around and be free in.

There were plenty of spots to stop for refreshments and lunch and all round, it was a great day out.
 
 
Singapore Botanic Gardens

The Botanic Gardens is a tropical garden situated near the main shopping district and is a lovely walk if you fancy a more relaxed afternoon.  It's filled with beautiful plants, flowers and water features and it's so relaxing just to wander around at your own pace listening to the sound of the birds chirping away.

Also in the Gardens is an amazing little restaurant called "The Halia" where we stopped to enjoy a delicious lunch (and air-con!).  Their menu was very varied with something for everyone and was a great place to stop for a bite to eat.
 
  
 
Clarke Quay

This is an amazing wee place and if you're prone to a few cocktails and a dance, you NEED to visit here at night time to take full advantage of the funky bars, live music and Singapore clubbing scene.  There are literally endless bars and eateries to try depending on what tickles your fancy and if you visit during happy hour (which seems to last around 3 - 4 hours for most bars), then you can grab yourself some bargain deals on numerous drinks and cocktails - I recommend visiting during this time as it is quite pricey paying full price for drinks after the deals end..

Unfortunately I was a little er, merry, whist here so I didn't take any photographic evidence of my phenomenal (aka extremely average at best) dance moves, but if Singapore is ever on your to do list, I would definitely look this place up and give it a try.

Gardens by the Bay

So you may already have seen pictures of these bad boys because they are an extremely popular tourist destination in Singapore, and for a very good reason.  They are amazing.

The "Supertrees" take part in a light show every evening just after sunset and flash/change colour in sync to a number of great songs from the best musicals.  It's pretty hard to explain in writing but I'm sure there will be some cool videos on You Tube if you feel like having a nosey.  If I remember correctly, the show lasts around 20 - 30 minutes and in my opinion is a must-see, even just for one night.  I promise you, the pictures do these no justice!
 
Marina Bay

Lastly, but certainly not least and probably my favourite, behold, Marina Bay!  Where do I begin.  When I first got to Marina Bay it was early evening and to me, some of the buildings actually looked like a cardboard cut out because they were just so surreal.

The Bay oozes the "wow" factor and is the perfect setting of never ending bars, shops, restaurants and awe-inspiring buildings.  In addition, it is of course the home of the faaabulous Marina Bay Sands Hotel.

I drank in many a bars at the Bay during my stay (I feel I'm starting to sound like I have a bit of a drink problem - I don't, I think) and I also had the pleasure of eating at the OUE restaurant which is a rooftop bar and restaurant offering the choice of three cuisines; Japanese, French and Chinese.  I was lucky enough to have a booth right next to the window and I can't even put into words how amazing the views were overlooking the Bay.

Every evening there is a pretty damn cool laser show which is reflected off screens of water (like the Fantasmic laser show at MGM Studios in Florida for any Disney geeks out there).  As well as that, there are a number of fun, science-y type games and activities situated all around the Bay for anyone feeling creative.

Once you've completed all of the above, have stuffed your face and drank too much wine, a nice stroll around the Bay is literally the perfect way to end what I guarantee will have been a truly amazing evening.

Rachel
 
 
 
 
 

Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blog Design Created by pipdig